Thursday, November 14, 2013

Glamp Meals

My three girlfriends flew out from Massachusetts to California in order for me to take them camping up in the Sequoias.  You can read about the trip HERE.  Since one of my gf's already wrote about the experience, I decided to share my weekend menu. 

Before the girls arrived I had to pack and prepare everything since they were coming from out of town.  I was really excited about them experiencing this forest and was actually pretty excited to use my new Coleman grill.  The best way to prepare for camping meals is to literally write out each meal each day.  You can move meals around on the fly.  For example, I had a different meal planned for Friday night but since we arrived really late at camp, I switched it to a quicker meal!  Figure out if anything needs or should be prepared before you leave.  Then go from there:)

I present you, my mostly vegetarian, 2.5 day meal plan for camping for 4 (including me) gals:

Friday (Arrived at camp at 10PM)
Dinner:  Kosher Hotdogs/Vegetarian Italian Sausage on Rolls with Mustard served with Garbanzo Bean Salad (Made at home and put into Tupperware).  I use this RECIPE but instead of chickpeas I use Garbanzo Beans and I also add Artichoke Hearts to it.  Just double the recipe for 4 people.
Snack:  Pita Chips and Hummus/Chips and Dip
Drink:  Beer/Wine/Water

Saturday
Breakfast:  Egg Whites and Hash Browns (I bought organic frozen bag and they came out delicious with some olive oil/salt/pepper) served with Tabasco.
Snack:  Muffins/Pastries
Drink:  Water/Coffee



Lunch: Tom/Mozz Sandwiches - Pre-sliced log of Mozzerella Cheese, Tomatoes (cut on scene), with Basil served on Sour Dough Bread.
Snack: Chips/Trail Mix/Dried Fruit
Drink: Water

Dinner: Vegetable Pasta Sauce  (Made at home and put into Tupperware) with Bow Tie Whole Wheat Pasta
Snacks:  Sliced Sour Dough Bread served with Oil and Balsamic Vinegar to dip
Drink:  Water/Beer/Wine

Sunday
Breakfast:  Pancakes (Shake 'n Pour Bisquick) and another frozen bag of Hash Browns.
Snacks:  Muffins/Pastries
Drink:  Water/Coffee

Lunch:  Natural Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches on Whole Wheat Bread
Snacks:  Doritos/Trail Mix/Dried Fruit
Drink:  Water

Dinner:  Eggplant, Goat cheese, and Pesto Sandwiches - Slice Eggplant (leave skin on! It has the most nutrients) pan fried with Olive Oil and serve on Sour Dough Bread.  Add Goat Cheese on one slice and Pesto on the other slice of bread and enjoy.  (One of my gals is not a fan of goat cheese, so we used left over mozzarella from our lunch the other day on hers)
Snacks:  Left over Garbanzo Bean Salad/Chips/S'mores
Drink:  Beer/Wine/Water

Monday (Left Camp in the AM)
Breakfast:  Muffin/Pastries
Drink:  Coffee/Water
(Stopped at the first town we saw to eat breakfast/lunch)

I actually made fruit salad at home as well, but we never ate it.  The only items I made at home were the garbanzo bean salad, fruit salad, and the homemade pasta sauce.  

Kitchen Items to Pack:
2 Frying Pans
1 Pasta Pan
Spatula
Good Knife
Plastic Cutting Board/Tray
Pot Holder
Sponge/Dish Soap
Bottle Opener/Can Opener

My favorite camping item:
Coleman Perfect-Flow Stove

I also cannot live a day without a nice cup of coffee.  I bought this GSI Percolator which worked great if you held the top down once the water started to boil.  If you didn't hold the top, the coffee would explode out.  With trial and error we made it work and it was just so perfect starting a cool morning off with some coffee, coffee mate creamer, and some raw sugar... ahhhh...



I hope you found some inspiration in this list and helped you to believe you can have "at home" style meals while out in the wilderness.  Just remember to stock up on the propane and definitely don't forget the olive oil!

Bon Appetite!

Jenn














No comments:

Post a Comment